Universally loved, dolphins are our best-known animals. These large mammals are intelligent, playful, and full of their own individual personalities! Clearwater Marine Aquarium’s most famous dolphins, Winter and Hope, were featured in the major motion pictures Dolphin Tale and Dolphin Tale 2!
Where to See
Meet Our Resident Dolphins
- Least Concern
- Average Size
- 7-12 ft
- Whaling, entanglement, habitat loss
- Defining Characteristic
- Short nostrum (beak)
- Atlantic and Pacific Coasts of North America
- Two varieties/ecotypes of bottlenose dolphins: inshore and offshore
- Estimated lifespan of 35-50 years
- Age determined by examining growth rings in a tooth, just like a tree!
- Dolphins establish dominance with threatening postures and gestures
- Communicate through whistles and clicks
- Dolphins are a top predator in the ocean